Is fresh dog food from Ollie a good choice? Yes, It definitely is. We made the unbiased Ollie dog food reviews with the help of our experts and opinions of true users. We also tried and tested all of the four recipes on Cooper (a labrador) and his friends to get the frank reviews about the taste from fur-real dogs!
- Ollie Dog Food Reviews of 2020
- Ollie Recipes
- How to Get Started
- Ollie Dog Food Recalls
- The Final Note
Ollie Dog Food Reviews of 2020
Ollie provides subscription meal plans that are personalized for your dog based on your dog’s age, breed, activity level, allergies, and ideal weight. The vet-crafted recipes are safe enough for humans to eat but specially designed for dogs. The recipe is also free from any fillers and artificial preservatives or flavors.
The key ingredient, meat, is sourced from human-grade family-run farms in the USA. Moreover, the fruits and veggies added to the ollie pet food are gently cooked with minimal processing to preserve their nutrients.
Additional benefits of the Ollie fresh dog food are that it has added superfoods like chia seeds in a required proportion that is full of omega fatty acids beneficial in many ways.
The fresh and delicious dog food is not the only thing that makes Ollie one of the best fresh dog food subscription companies. We have mentioned the key features that make Ollies so great that your pooch will not only love the taste of the food but will also remain healthy and happy:
- Vet-formulated recipes with healthier ingredients that are tailored to your dog’s unique nutritional needs
- The food is packaged in an insulated box and delivered fresh
- Human-grade high-quality ingredients
- Whole foods with minimal processing and gently cooked to preserve nutrients
- No artificial flavors, preservatives, or fillers added
- The food is personalized for your dog based on their breed, age, ideal weight, activity level, and allergies
- Fresh food delivered fresh and ready to eat
- Vet-formulated, freshly cooked recipes that are delicious
- Your pet will feel more energetic and will be easily able to maintain a healthier weight
- The food also prevents allergies in dogs and makes their coat shinier
- 100% Money-back guarantee (Bowl Lickin’ Guarantee) if your dog does not devour the food
- Available on a subscription-only basis
- You cannot order more than one recipe in your first subscription box and more than 2 recipes in subsequent subscription
Ollie provides four different recipes that are vet-crafted to be complete and nutritionally balanced. In addition to being nutritious, it is also very delicious and delivered fresh for your pooch.
All of the four recipes are formulated by vet nutritionists to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO for dogs of all life stages.
Ingredients that are common in all the recipes:
- Dicalcium phosphate: Provides your dog with the necessary amount of calcium is necessary for healthy bone & cartilage and phosphorus is important for the support of healthy kidney function.
- Iodized Salt: The iodized salt provides a sufficient amount of iodine and also help in maintaining blood sodium level.
- Potassium Iodate: In addition to providing Iodine, KIO3 also provides potassium that keeps kidney functioning normally. It is important for normal digestion ad is also required for muscle and heart function.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is an antioxidant that defenses against oxidative damage in skin and other cells in canines (and other animals). In addition to maintaining a healthy immune system, it is also good for muscles, liver, healthy heart, and healthy skin & coat.
- Zinc Gluconate: Deficiency of zinc can have problems of lack of protection against infections in canines, therefore it is also added in a proper amount in this food. It is important for thyroid function and immune function and plays a vital role in many substances like enzymes, proteins, and hormones.
- Chia Seeds: A superfood that is rich in omega03 fatty acids (that has many benefits) and supports a healthy immune system.
|Recipe||Protein (min)||Fat (min)||Fiber (max)||Moisture (max)||Calories|
|Hearty Beef Eats||12%||10%||2%||68%||1540 kcal ME/kg|
|Chicken Goodness||10%||4%||2%||72%||1298 kcal ME/kg|
|Healthy Turkey Feast||11%||7%||2%||75%||1390 kcal ME/kg|
|Tasty Lamb Fare||11%||9%||2%||70%||1804 kcal ME/kg|
The Ollie dog food is made from whole foods with minimal processing and is gently cooked to preserve nutrients. The meat is sourced human-grade and free-range family-run farms in the USA and Australia(lamb). The recipe also is safe enough to be consumed by humans but is specially designed for canines.
The overall quality of the food is good enough as there are no by-products (soy, corn, wheat, etc.), artificial flavors, or preservatives added in any of the recipes.
Hearty Beef Eats
The Beef recipe is made with key ingredients like sweet potato, peas, rosemary, sunflower oil, and carrots. The main ingredient, high-quality beef, comes from human-grade family-run farms in the USA. Peas amongst the ingredients is a good source of lutein that is important for eye, skin, and heart health. Rosemary, on the other hand, is safe and natural anti-microbial.
Ingredients rich in vitamins and minerals which help in supporting immune function like beef kidney and sweet potatoes are also added. The beef kidney is also a good source of highly digestible protein source.
Beef, beef heart, sweet potato, peas, potato, beef kidney, carrot, beef liver, spinach, chia seed, dicalcium phosphate, blueberries, fish oil (preserved with tocopherols), iodized salt, zinc gluconate, rosemary, vitamin E supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), potassium iodide
This diet the highest protein and fat content amongst the four recipes that makes it perfect for active and young pooches. One drawback of this recipe is the low moisture content as compared to other recipes but it can be neglected if you provide your pet with proper daily water intake.
The key ingredients of Chicken recipe are peas, spinach, blueberries, and cod liver oil. The spinach is high in antioxidants and also provides sufficient iron that helps in the synthesis of hemoglobin which is important for the transportation of oxygen in the blood. Another key ingredient, cod liver oil, has Omega-3 fatty acids that are beneficial for heart health.
The first ingredient, chicken, is a great source of protein that provides an essential source of vitamins and can help maintain healthy muscle mass. The meat is hormone-free and is sourced from human-grade family-run farms in the US. The federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones in the poultry as the presence of hormone residues in meat may disrupt canine’s natural hormonal balance and may end up with biological effects with harmful consequences for health.
Chicken, chicken gizzard, carrots, peas, chicken liver, rice, chia seeds, spinach, potatoes, whole dried eggs, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, blueberries, fish oil, Iodized salt, cod liver oil, zinc gluconate, rosemary, copper gluconate, vitamin e, potassium Iodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2)
This recipe has low protein content (but higher than the minimum recommended limit by AAFCO) as compared to other recipes. The low-fat content also makes it the best for the older and less active pooches as its lower calorific value also helps in maintaining their healthy weight and not becoming overweight.
Healthy Turkey Feast
The healthy turkey feast, in addition to the first ingredient turkey, is made up of key ingredients like pumpkin, lentils, blueberries, and carrots. The carrots are full of phytonutrients beneficial for eye health and they are also a relatively good source of fibers that help in digestion. Another key ingredient, blueberries, are high in antioxidants that fight against harmful free radicals and prevent cell damage.
If your canine is allergic to beef or chicken, then one of the best alternatives sources of protein for them is Turkey. Turkey is a highly digestible source of protein that helps in gaining weight and muscle mass and supports pets with a lean body. Moreover, high-quality turkey is sourced from human-grade family-run farms in the US.
Turkey breast, turkey liver, kale, carrots, lentils, blueberries, coconut oil, pumpkin, chia seeds, dicalcium phosphate, iodized salt, zinc gluconate, cod liver oil, iron sulfate, manganese gluconate, manganese sulfate, copper gluconate, vitamin E powder, thiamin HCL, potassium iodate
Overall this is one of the best recipes provided by Ollie because of its high protein and lower fat content with a moderate calorific value that helps in maintaining a healthy weight in your canines. It has the highest moisture content as compared to the other recipes that make it easy chewable and also adds to the daily water intake of your pet.
Tasty Lamb Fare
The lamb recipe is made from the key ingredients like butternut squash, kale, chickpeas. Butternut squash provides adequate fiber for digestion and vitamins & minerals that are necessary to keep your canines healthy. Another key ingredient, kale, is high in beta carotene that keeps skin and fur healthy and shiny.
The first ingredient lamb is a highly digestible protein source which is also the best alternative, just like turkey, for canines who are allergic to chicken or beef. The lamb meat is sourced from pasture-raised lambs that come from free-range farms in the US and Australia.
Lamb, lamb liver, butternut squash, kale, chickpeas, cranberries, potato, chia seeds, dicalcium phosphate, iodized salt, calcium carbonate, zinc gluconate, taurine, vitamin E, iron sulfate, pantothenic acid, potassium iodate, manganese gluconate, thiamin HCL, folic acid
This recipe has the highest calorific value as compared to the other three recipes, so it is highly recommended for pets that are highly active. The high protein content also makes it suitable for young pooches to help them in their development of proper muscle growth.
How to Get Started
To subscribe to Ollie’s personalized dog food plan you need to go through easy to follow steps on MyOllie.com.
- Step 1: Go to Ollie’s Subscription page and enter your email address and other details
- Step 2: Now proceed by entering your pup’s name followed by other information
- You will be asked your pet’s details like breed, age, current and ideal weight, whether your pooch is neutered, body type (lean, ideal, round), activity level, his current food type, any type of allergies. Based on these details, Ollie will make a personalized
- Step 3: Select the recipe that your pet would prefer (you can select only one recipe on your first subscription box) and then choose the portion plan
- Step 4: Add shipping information and make payment to complete the process
- Step 5: Whoopee! now your subscription will be activated and in the first box you’ll get 2 weeks of food
Feeding guide is provided with the subscription box to help you portion the food in the right amount for your pooch.
There are three different subscription plans provided by Ollie. You can choose the one depending upon your requirement and budget:
- All Ollie: 100% portion of food is Ollie (This plan is recommended if you want to feed the entire diet as Ollie)
- Mostly Ollie: 50% portion of food (Mostly Ollie is preferable if you are low on your budget and want to try it with half the portion of current dry dog food)
- Some Ollie: 25% portion of food (This subscription plan is recommended for you if your pet is very selective about his meals and needs a very gradual change in its meal)
>> The Best Dog Food Subscription Boxes <<
>> TThe Best Dog Food Delivery Companies <<
>> Raw Dog Food Suppliers USA <<
Ollie Dog Food Recalls
To find the history of product recalls of Ollie, we checked out the FDA’s Archive for Recalls. As the Ollie Pet company was incorporated in the year 2015 so we checked out all the archives from that year to the present date and found no history of product recalls or withdrawals.
To combat product recalls, Ollie considers sourcing only high-quality ingredients that are human-grade and made in the USA. Moreover, no artificial preservatives are added as it can be harmful to dogs, and so natural preservatives like vitamin E is added.
Is Ollie dog food organic?
Ollie believes in providing quality ingredients and emphasizes on the nutritional value of the food. The dog food provided by Ollie is not organic, however, they source chicken, beef, and turkey from high-quality human-grade farms in the US and pasture-raised lamb from free-range farms in the US and Australia.
For other similar dog food delivery services that claim to provide organic food, the truth is, organic certification doesn’t always mean that it is going to be the best food. Even by using all organic ingredients, if they are processed (to make t shelf-stable) they lose most of their nutritional value and then that food has to be supplemented.
How much does Ollie dog food cost?
As the subscription food provided from Ollie is personalized based on the requirements of your dog so the prices also vary for everyone depending upon their pooch. However, you can approximate the price based on their age and breed (small and large). For small dogs, the food starts at less than $2/day ($14 a week) if you feed them the All Ollie plan in which your pet’s entire meal is exclusively Ollie.
They also provide you with the other options if you do not wish to subscribe to the All Ollie plan. The Mostly Ollie (50% of dog’s meal) and Some Ollie (25% of dog’s meal) are comparatively cheaper than the All Ollie plan. You can initially try these plans to be more sure about how your dog likes. These plans are also recommended for them if their pooches take time transitioning, as you utilize these plans for a gradual transition to Ollie.
Can I choose more than one recipe?
You can only choose one recipe for your first box of Ollie to ensure a gradual transition from his current diet. After the first box subscription that lasts for 2 weeks, you can select up to 2 recipes for the subsequent subscriptions.
You can select up to two from the four recipes (Beef, Chicken, Turkey, and Lamb) by following the steps mentioned below:
- Log in to your MyOllie account
- After logging in from the account page click edit next to your pup’s meal plan
- Select a plan and the recipe(s) that you want to switch to
Is Ollie available without a subscription?
Ollie is a subscription-only service that does NOT provide dog food on a non-subscription basis. This is because the company provides customized food that is personalized for your pooch based on their requirements like daily intake, calorific content, nutritional value, allergy, etc. which becomes infeasible on non-subscription services.
Although Ollie does not have a non-subscription service, their subscription service have a variety of plans to choose from with different frequencies. Once you subscribe with Ollie Dog Food, it is easy to manage and adjust the meal plan, modify or add new pup’s info, and much more. You can even delay the delivery and select the date that best suits your schedule.
Moreover, if you want to cancel the plan simply email your concern at [email protected] or call our Canine Care team at 1-844-886-5543.
How does Ollie tailor the recipe for my dog?
To ensure that your pooch gets the right proportion of complete and nutritionally balanced food, Ollie customizes the food based on your dog’s requirement. The proprietary algorithm developed by Ollie with vet nutritionist ensures calculates the exact number of calories needed based on age, weight, body composition, activity level, and breed.
If your dog is allergic to anything, then Ollie also takes it into consideration and recommends the recipe based on that. Moreover, if your dog is underweight or overweight then the food proportion of the diet is also divided accordingly so that your pooch can achieve ideal weight.
How long will the food stay fresh after it is delivered?
Ollie uses special modified packaging to pack the food trays so they are airtight and remain fresh. Once the food arrives, and after you put it in the refrigerator, then it is good to feed them the food up to 14 days unopened. Whereas, if you have broken the seal of the tray, then you need to feed it within up to 5 days.
It is always advised to keep the lid of the food tray closed after you have opened it to preserve the freshness.
Other Popular Brands
The Farmer’s Dog Review | Pet Plate Review | NomNomNow Reviews | Spot and Tango Dog Food Review | Just Food For Dogs Review | Cali Raw Dog Food Review | Grocery Pup Dog Food Review | Evermore Dog Food Review
The Final Note
The only major drawback that we found about Ollie is that they do not provide more than two recipes in a subscription. However, it is not recommended to feed more than one recipe at the same time, as if your dog develops any digestion problem with his current food, then it would be difficult to distinguish which food caused the problem.
Cooper enjoyed the Ollie fresh dog food and also achieved his ideal weight in just one month. We are certain that your pooch will love the fresh dog food provided by Ollie as well as Nom Nom Now and it’ll also help to keep your pet healthy.